Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Day 20

The Uninet is back up! The connection is still fairly slow, but much better than internet cafes. Things at work have picked up and things are becoming routine so there is not much else to blog about. The one thing that's still a bit of a challenge is finding change for large bills. When paying a taxi or buying small groceries, you want smaller bills, or ideally, coins, since it's not guaranteed that they will have change otherwise. Fakoship, the large grocery store, may have change but it's hit or miss. The western unions and the banks also usually don't change bills. You have to find a gas station with the right bills available, or buy something from someone who has enough change.

I'm going to try to upload some more photos while I have the internet and see if I can't retroactively add pictures to my other posts.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! you cracked me up with the part about the Internet dropping the connection just as you're about to hit send. oh, the trials of working in africa!
i'm still in dschang, working on my polygamy story. still hope to make it back to buea at some point!
watch some CNN world for me...
cheers,
lexi

Anonymous said...

For In the Light day, should I dress up as Michael Jackson or David Bowie?

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised we haven't crossed paths before, Sam. Duke & Harvey and Fakoship are places I frequent. Let's meet up in the neighborhood one of these days.