Sunday, October 19, 2008

Day 38

The second attempt at pizza went much better. I added more yeast this time, and whereas the tomato sauce for the last pizza consisted mainly of tomato paste, this incarnation included diced tomatoes, onions, and minced garlic in addition to the watered down paste. The cheese, which has a consistency of cream cheese, was difficult to slice and impossible to grate and all in all too much of a hassle to add, so I topped it off with sliced sausage, chopped onions, and okra. It was greatly enjoyed by Seque, Dr. Kamga, and friends, many of whom had never tasted pizza before. Even I was surprised at how well it had turned out.

Every Tuesday and Saturday is market day and numerous merchants appear at wooden stands along the main road in Buea. I usually get ply my local market in Buea town, a small collection of stands down a side alley. This time I decided to check out the larger market, so I wander down and practice my haggling. My haul at the end of the day was better than I imagined. At the end of the day, I brought back:
3 hands of plantains: 500 cfa
1 pineapple: 300 cfa
6 oranges: 200 cfa
5 tomatoes: 200 cfa
1 bag of fufu gari: 100 cfa
1 bag of eru and waterleaf: 300 cfa
1 clove of garlic: 100 cfa
4 green onions: 50 cfa
1 large red onion: 100 cfa

When I got back to the guest house, even Jim, the manager was impressed. The plantains were an especially good deal, which he said usually goes for 500 cfa per hand. I'm not sure how I got such a low price myself, unless the merchant thought she'd get me hooked with a low price, which, knowing Cameroonian food, is a good possibility. And yes, I am going to attempt to make fufu and eru. We’ll see how that goes…

4 comments:

kaiki said...

Now your ancestral home of South Korea is in need of your help! Buy Korean and stop the "kimchi deficit"
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/7680371.stm

Unknown said...

Hi,

All those lovely fruit at such good prices made me feel very nostalgic for my 9 years in Velingara, Senegal. I'd love to visit but it's a long way away ... Would any of your Fulfulde-speaking friends like a free paper in Fulfulde? See http://soon.org.uk/fulani/free-papers.php

We mail them free of charge if specifically requested.

Thanks, Jane

Sam said...

They're going for Chinese made kimchi? Good lord, things must be bad.

Thanks for the comment, Jane. Fruit here is really cheap. It's one of the things I'm probably going to miss when I get back to the States. But at least They'll still have plantains for me to fry up. Yum yum

James, Sr. said...

Good job! We cannot wait to taste your pizza. But before cooking pizza for us, send e-mail home or get in AIM whenever you have time.