Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Day 13

As I am officially a member of the faculty at the University of Buea, I was able to attend a faculty meeting this afternoon. It was very interesting to hear the back and forth between the various department heads and professors. The major topics on hand at the meeting mostly dealt with the results of most recent exams and the administrative procedures for internships for medical and nursing programs. In reality, however, there was generally a lot of arguing back and forth and by and large not much getting done. This was mostly because the dean himself was not present, which apparently meant not much could be definitively accomplished.
Despite the lack of productivity even after going several hours over the scheduled end, the faculty look forward to these meetings, and I soon found out why. In the next room, there was a series of long rectangular tables on which a large variety of Cameroonian delectables: cocoyams, ndole, goat and beef roast, rice, and gizzard, which is traditionally only given to the venerable, but Dr. Kamga insisted I have it and assured me that the fact that he had twins would counteract any bad mojo, which he would confer onto me. I stuffed myself silly. This sort of feast is provided at every faculty meeting—I’m looking forward to the next one.

No comments: