Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Day 54

Happy Election Day! The US elections have really caused a lot of excitement here in Cameroon. People everywhere are abuzz about the 4th, and I’ve gotten into conversations with all sorts of people here about it, from taxi drivers to merchants; pretty much anyone who suspects that I’m from the US, and even a few that don’t. Radio stations and newspapers everywhere are posting the latest news and rumors about the elections, and on at least two separate occasions, a small convoy of trucks has driven up and down the road, blaring news about Obama on megaphones.

I’ve been catching snippets of the elections here and there, and I’m confident of a Obama victory, despite the conspiracy theories raised by my Cameroonian colleagues and I am so damn excited for this to go down. I’ve invited some friends and acquaintances over to the guesthouse to watch the election coverage. I’m going to make pizza again, for a taste of home while I watch history unfold. Go Vote!

No comments: